Sunday, December 09, 2007

The aim (kinda) of this post is to get you irritated, confused, pissed off, fed up and ultimately bored. in order to do so, the post is gonna be more or less random, probably with an incoherent and totally pointless line added in here and there just to irritate you further. ready? lets go.


working as a sales promoter isnt any fun at all. no one said it was right? working at SM Optics at bendemeer just compounds the feeling of boredom even more. my co-worker was cute though... ahem.

the scope of my job is basically to set up a stand outside the optical shop, and stone. uhuh. stone. remember that word. it isnt as easy as it sounds. the level of stoning must be just right. too little = pebble. too much = rock. just nice = stone.

according to instructions, im supposed to 'look out and target contact lens users', like i have some sort of super vision or mind reading skills that can help me spot contact lens users. by the way, just note that mind reading is seriously cool, and i seriously wouldnt mind having that as a superpower.

soo, that leaves me standing (yeah, theres no place for me to sit) at the door of the optical shop (with the cute co-worker inside- HAH) and literally stone. well, i guess its literally cos i could have sworn that i felt moss growing somewhere on my legs. anyway, theres really nothing for me to do except to wait for people to come up to me to take a look.

i did try out a theory i came up with though. you know how you can feel it when people are looking at you from behind your back? i tried staring at people as they walked past in hope that they'd look around and come over to take a look and give me something to do. well, failed theory.

okay. i ended up just 'people-watching', which is actually quite entertaining for like the first hour or so. unfortunately, i had 10 hours to kill. damm. thankfully, i realised that singapore is a really good country to do people watching, not exactly because the people here are beautiful, but cos singaporeans are incredibly quirky (whether we wanna admit it or not) and thus provide a rather entertaining show. seriously.

probably the highlight was when this couple came up to me during their lunch break, the lady was asking me about the contact lens solution:
man: eh dear, i need to go to the bank. wait for me?
lady: ok
(man walks over to the bank and pushes at the door. pushes again. and again)
man: aye. the door is locked, i think they went on lunch break or something.
(lady walks over to the bank and pulls. the door opens)

damn! i just completely laughed out loud at that point. i guess thats probably the reason they didnt buy anything from me. hmm...


WHILE WORKING, I
  • saw an albino blowing at his hair and he was walking
  • saw a young mother fall asleep while sitting on a bench carrying her baby (tsk tsk)
  • saw a mother praising her young daughter for doing a dance that look remarkably like a pole dance (...?)
  • saw a fat kid getting himself stuck in a gap between two pillars (he was playing hide and seek i think)
  • saw a eccentric old lady training her dogs to do tricks in the middle of the crowded corridor
  • saw those same dogs chasing and attacking a stray cat (ouch)
  • overheard an armyman and his dad discussing their opinions on the definition of 'paikia' (ruffian)
  • listened in a group of old men trading war-time stories (understanding dialect helps. heh)
  • listened to a couple of bengs arguing over the difference between 'chio' and 'cute' (HAHA)
  • realised that being offered a job which is 'rather relaxed' with 'nothing much to do' is only a good thing when you arent standing for the whole duration

heya! anyone still awake after reading all that nonsense? all that 'interesting' bits came out of a couple of days of working. if you think you're bored, i suggest you imagine multiplying that by a factor of 100, then remain standing with nothing to do for 10 hours. then, you'd sorta know what my job was like.

err. it wasnt all bad. at least im $123 richer. mm. actually more like $90-ish, since i bought peewee's birthday present today. ahh. well, at least now i know that id rather go for some office job in future. lucky cheryl with her internship. tsk.



The Rembrandts - I'll Be There For You
So no one told you life was gonna be this way
Your jobs a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.

It's like you're always stuck in second gear
And it hasn't been your day, your week, your month,
or even your year
but..

I'll be there for you
When the rain starts to pour
I'll be there for you
Like I've been there before
I'll be there for you
'Cuz you're there for me too...

You're still in bed at ten
And work began at eight
You've burned your breakfast
So far... things are goin' great

Your mother warned you there'd be days like these
Oh but she didn't tell you when the world has brought
You down to your knees that...

I'll be there for you
When the rain starts to pour
I'll be there for you
Like I've been there before
I'll be there for you
'Cuz you're there for me too...

No one could ever know me
No one could ever see me
Seems you're the only one who knows
What it's like to be me
Someone to face the day with
Make it through all the rest with
Someone I'll always laugh with
Even at my worst I'm best with you, yeah

It's like you're always stuck in second gear
And it hasn't been your day, your week, your month,
or even your year...

I'll be there for you
When the rain starts to pour
I'll be there for you
Like I've been there before
I'll be there for you
'Cuz you're there for me too...

I'll be there for you
I'll be there for you
I'll be there for you
'Cuz you're there for me too...













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home